Saturday 22 March 2008

La Pasqua

It's been a while since I updated this so there is a bit to fill in. Firstly, we had a series of excursions as part of our lectures for Storia della Lingua Italiana and Storia dell'Arte Medievale. Our favourite lecturer, Anna Mori, organised a visit for us to the Biblioteca Augusta here in Perugia to see a selection of their books from the 1500s. As you do. Anyway, we saw a manuscript of Dante's Inferno, complete with miniatures attributed to Lorenzetti, a printed copy of the letter written by Cristoforo Colombo to the King of Spain letting him know that he had stumbled across America and claimed it for Spain, and various other books published just after the invention of the printing press. It was quite impressive! Then, later that afternoon due to the mild weather, Elvio Lunghi took us for a stroll around Perugia to check out the links between Etruscan, Roman and Medieval architecture found through the sculptures of the public buildings and arches here. The next morning, la prof Anna met us again for a tour of the Archeological Museum to check out the Etruscan collection, which consists mainly of cinerary urns. Since it was also La Festa di San Giuseppe here (and therefore also Father's Day), she bought us traditional fritelle afterwards, followed by a coffee stop as well - naturally!

On Sunday, since it was Domenica delle Palme, I decided to go down to Rome for the day to check out the celebrations. My train left at 7.15am and I wasn't hopeful of finding a bus running that early (which turned out to be the case) so my day began with a sprint to the station. Thank heavens it was downhill, that's all I can say. I made it with just enough time to buy my ticket and jump on the train, and then promptly dozed off. Of course, the good thing was that I arrived so early in Rome that I had time to wander leisurely...or that was the plan at least. After a coffee stop at the Illy cafe in Termini, I popped into Santa Maria Maggiore to listen to a bit of the mass and then decided to head over to the Vatican. On the way there I discovered that the Rome Marathon was being run - maybe the suffering of the runners was meant to echo the suffering of Jesus - around the streets of Rome. This necessitated a bit of sprinting for the tourists as we had to keep crossing the 'track'. Still, I made it to the Vatican finally, bemused once again by the state of the traffic etc - due to the marathon many of the streets had been closed, resulting in major jams. The traffic police were copping a bit of flack, it has to be said, but it was quite amusing nevertheless, as long as you weren't stuck in a car. Just as I made it to St Peter's, the Pope started his cruise around the square in his Pope-mobile, so I watched it on the big screen. Dodging the columns, that was the closest I could get. Oh well....at least I had a taste of the atmosphere, including the cheering. I also managed to accomplish one of the things on my list - I bought the other rosary beads for Cath McCole, complete with papal medallions. Now I just have to send them, meaning another joyful visit to Italia Post.

By this time it was getting towards lunch so I headed off towards Piazza Navona, where I met up with Lisa, Justin and Olivia. I hadn't seen Lisa since a visit to Perth about twenty years ago so it was great to see her and meet her husband and daughter. After pizza with broccoli for lunch at a little pizzeria off Campo de' Fiori, we went back to their appartment just down the road for coffee and colomba. It was so nice to just chat and compare stories, family updates etc. I'm sure our mothers will be touch as a result. Hopefully we'll catch up in Florence as we pass through in May and share a gelato or two. They've booked an appartment in Santa Croce until September and will use that as their base. Lucky things!!! After all our chatting, and with my bag full of fans made for me by Olivia, it was time to wander back in the late afternoon sunshine to the station for my 6pm train. Luckily I got there just as the train was pulling in so I could bag a seat - the train was completely packed, standing room only by the time we left. Still, what a great way to end the week!

This last week has meant the formal end of our lessons - next week it's exams which really are starting to scare me now. It has also meant starting to say goodbye to people - Juliette, the French girl in my class, decided not to do the exams so she's gone to France to see her grandparents in Montpellier for Easter. Ambar, Hannah and I went around to her place on Thursday night for a crepe party. I have to say, they were delicious! I'll have to try and make some when I get back. Even Lachie would have been impressed, especially when she flipped them!!! Thursday also brought unexpected snow which completely blanketed the city for the morning, and then completely disappeared by that evening. I'll have to load some pics of that when I get back to England too.

Easter here seems a little strange. For example, Good Friday is a normal day ie with lessons etc. All the shops were open as per usual, like today. We'll see what Easter Sunday brings, but I've heard that the big holiday is Easter Monday. It's a mystery, like many things in this country. I'm going to try and go to a mass in the Cathedral tomorrow. I called in there last night after my art history class and stood for an hour listening to a sung version of the Passion story as the Gospel, followed by a somewhat rambling homily by the Archbishop, and then left after the crucifix was processed down the aisle ready for the Veneration to begin. Just those bits took over an hour, so I felt that was enough. Plus people come and go all the time, check their mobile for messages, and get this - one woman answered her phone and had a chat with a friend. This country, I tell you, has issues!!!!!

Oh well, I guess I should go back and do some more study....oh the joys of Boccaccio. At least the Art History one should be funny - he told us last night that the challange for us in the exam is to try and talk more than him! On that note, I'm off to hit the books. Buona Pasqua!!!

No comments: